1 November 2013

Session Three & Four (Numb Bum)

Friday 18th & Wednesday 30th October 2013
7 Hours


Monju Bosatsu with foo dog Japanese back piece tattoo by Diego Azaldegui
Session four

Monju Bosatsu with foo dog Japanese back piece tattoo by Diego Azaldegui

Monju Bosatsu with foo dog Japanese back piece tattoo by Diego Azaldegui





My last two sessions have happened in fairly quick succession being less than two weeks apart so I've combined them into one blog post. Diego will be moving back to Argentina in December so I want to get as much done as possible before he moves. After that he'll be visiting the UK a couple of times a year to continue ongoing work so I'm hoping to get another few sessions in before the move.

As I've written about in previous posts, the first two sessions were pretty intense pain wise! I've always found outlining more painful than shading, so the thickness of the lines involved in a back piece only amplify the pain. Fortunately the last two sessions have been much easier as we focussed on the shading which I find much less painful. We started on the back of the legs which felt surprisingly easy which helped ease my anxiety about the session. We got a good chunk of the background done, some of the Foo Dog body and the shading on the face.

The next session started with the flames around the halo. We decided on a really nice dark orange colour which looks nice and bold, I really love it! We also did the flesh highlights on the character and got some more done on the body of the Foo Dog.

Incidentally I'm still using some numbing cream, but only on the most sensitive areas such as the ass cheeks. This lead to a pretty funny scenario at one point. The cream has to be left on and wrapped in cling film for two hours for it to work so we do two hours without any numbing and spend the last hour or so doing the numbed area. Anyway, Diego had to clean the cream off before tattooing that area, and I suddenly started chuckling to myself as the reality of the situation sank in. At that point I was paying a very nice Argentinian man with a beard to wipe cream off my ass. That's not a sentence I ever thought I'd be writing, but I guess you have to look for the comedy in any situation to get you through. I guess being a tattoo artist isn't always as cool as you might imagine.



No comments:

Post a Comment